Saturday, February 5, 2011

Stuffed Tomatoes - YUM!

I made this with my daughter and other than the fact that I let the tomatoes get a little too soft, they came out great. I put them in the broiler rather than over hot coals outside because...well, because....it was too cold outside! I'm going to love making dishes with my wife and kids. My son is in London so we won't be making many dishes together but he is a pretty good cook himself. I look forward to when he and I can concoct something together! It's fortunate that he grew up perfectly normal seeing as how he could have been traumatized from an early age. When he was two years old, I took him to the supermarket with me and while he was playing in the toy aisle, I was trying to get everything on "THE LIST" that my wife gave me. This was a challenge for me so I really focused in on that list. So much so, that I checked out and headed home - forgetting that I brought my son with me. All the way home, I sensed that I had forgotten something on "THE LIST" and pulled it out while driving to double and triple check it. That uneasy feeling never left me and it wasn't until I pulled into the driveway that I remembered about my son. Before heading back, however, I remembered that I had perishables with me so I threw them in the doorway and asked my wife to put everything away. Thank God I didn't have to explain the situation to her until I had thought it through a little more. Phrasing is everything! Good news: I found my son still playing in the toy aisle when I returned to the supermarket AND I saved the perishables!
This recipe comes from a book titled, Practical Low Fat Cookery.

STUFFED TOMATOES     Serves 4
Prep time:  about 25 minutes   /    Cooking time:  around 10 minutes
4 beefsteak tomatoes
4 1/2 cups cooked rice
8 scallions, chopped
3 tbsp chopped fresh mint
2 tbsp chopped fresh parsley
3 tbsp pine nuts
3 tbsp raisins
2 tsp olive oil
salt and pepper

1)  Cut the tomatoes in half, then scoop out the seeds and discard.
2)  Stand the tomatoes upside down on absorbent paper towels for a few moments in order for the juices to drain out.
3)  Turn the tomatoes the right way up and sprinkle the insides with salt and pepper.
4)  Mix together with rice, scallions, mint, parsley, pine nuts, and raisins.
5)  Spoon the mixture into the tomato cups.
6)  Drizzle over a little olive oil, then grill the tomatoes on an oiled rack over medium hot coals for about 10 minutes until they are tender and cooked through.
7)  Transfer the tomatoes to serving plates and serve immediately while still hot.

No comments:

Post a Comment